Tuesday; September 22
There are certain
biblical passages that I have grown up with.
I may have learned them in Sunday School or was taught them in our own
home, but they have been a part of my “vocabulary” for decades. One of the ones that has deep roots in my
soul is, “Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly
or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (II Corinthians 9:7). I am sure some of my familiarity with the
passage has to do with its presence in lessons on religious offerings, but as I
grew up I learned its value in several aspects of life. While we can accept this on face value, I
also think it provides parallel lessons.
You see, God is not the only one pleased when we give with a generous
spirit. The people around benevolent
people also appreciate their spirit.
Some because they are the recipients of the gifts, but others because
generosity has a ripple effect. People
who are willing to give to offset the needs of others can start a
chain-reaction of giving. Yet, there is
another person who benefits from cheerful giving – us! When we care enough about others to give with
a positive attitude, we tend to find more satisfaction in life. Generosity and selfishness have trouble
co-existing, so when we find ways to help others, we are more apt to find
contentment.
Are we looking for a way
to improve ourselves and our environment?
Maybe we could start with spreading the joy by spreading the wealth. When we do this, the gifts and the goodwill
tend to abound.
Think About It!