Wednesday; August 26
Herbert Hoover has an
interesting place in American history.
In 1928 he rode a landslide into the White House; but by 1932 the
majority of citizens couldn’t get him out of the office soon enough. Following the Crash of ’29, he lost the
election to Franklin Roosevelt only amassing 59 (of 531) electoral votes.
Whether Hoover got what
he deserved is not the point of this article, rather I came across a quote that
I would like to share. When he reflected
on one great American pastime he noted, “Fishing is more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return
to the find simplicity of our forefathers.”.
For some people, this may not make a lot of sense, but I really like his
observation. I think that it is easy to
get wrapped up in the facts and figures of life and miss the life and times
they represent. Sure, it’s fun to catch
fish (or score goals, or win a board game, or grow prize-winning flowers, or
whatever else we like to do); but there are times the actual activity is what
ends up being important. For fishing, it
might be the quiet calmness that ties us to our forefathers or the comradery of
being with others. Fishing may not be
your thing, but I think if we take the time to reflect on what we like to do,
there is a chance that the end may not be as important as the process.
What do we like to do? Why do we like to do it? When we keep our eye on the “why” we might enjoy it even more.
Think About It!