Tuesday; June 30
Do we feel like we are
out of step with the world? If so,
should that surprise us? I think it is
easy to feel like if we live a good life, everyone will appreciate us. If we do what is right, the majority of our
neighbors will be happy for us. Now,
while this can happen, I am not sure that it should be a foregone
conclusion. In fact, it might do us some
good to expect to be treated with a sense of animosity. I am not saying that we should expect that
the majority of people will be mean and nasty to us – but, I don’t think we
should be surprised if they don’t share our values. Interestingly, this is not something new to
modern times – the world has been this way for a long time. As the early Christians were finding their
way in the First Century, they were reminded, “See how great a love the
Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God;
and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us,
because it did not know Him.” (I John 3:1). Even in a relatively moral social
environment, Christians are going to find themselves at odds with others. The reasoning is simple – we know God in a
different way than those around us.
Until people come to an innate belief (which means accepting God on His
terms) we aren’t going to see the world the same way – and that should be okay
for us.
Let’s continue to do what
we know we should do. When we do that,
we’ll be faithful children of our Father in heaven.
Think About It!