Friday; June 29

When I was a child, I lived most of my life in the South.  All but a couple years of my childhood were spent in Florida, Texas or Georgia.  You might expect that I would have been used to the heat, but the truth is that by the time I was a young adult I was ready for some coolness.  For the next few decades I enjoyed living in places that were cooler than normal – in fact, some of them were just flat cold!  While I got to where I enjoyed the cold weather, I found that the older I get, the more the warmth feels to me.  In fact, I have enjoyed the hot muggy weather of the last few days. 
Sometimes, when we age, we find that our tastes change – and I have found this to be true in several aspects of life.  When I was younger; I enjoyed exploring new things, now, I tend to like the familiar.   Earlier in life; I was drawn to the parties and celebrations, now I enjoy the quietness of solitude.  Interestingly, I have even found a change in my spiritual life.  Through the years I enjoyed the structure of Paul’s and James’ epistles; but now I feel interested in the Psalms – especially the ones that promote a closeness with God.  The idea of drawing near to the love of God is a common theme in the Psalms including David’s observation, “How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You to dwell in Your courts.  We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple.”  (Psalm 65:4) 
Let’s enjoy the excitement of a life dedicated to the work of the Lord, but let’s not overlook the calmness of a closer walk with God.  A blend can inspire us to do and to be better.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6