Thursday; October 8
Today would have been my Mom’s 87th
birthday. I lost my mother about a
decade ago, but many of the lessons she taught me still stick. When I look back on what she shared with me
there are a few things really stand out, but maybe the one keeps being replayed
in my mind is, “You don’t have to tell everything you know.” I think her primary focus was on spreading
gossip and telling family secrets, but the more I ponder it, the broader this
logic becomes. It’s more than just
keeping confidences, it’s controlling our tongues. Whether it is choosing not to share stories
or not talking when it isn’t necessary, being quiet can be a virtue.
Long before Elaine Wharton made her
appearance on earth, the sage, Solomon, observed, “When there are many words,
transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise.” (Proverbs
10:19). Are we willing to do more
listening than talking? When we do, we
will not only gain more information, but we’ll also display more wisdom.
Think About It!