Friday; October 2

I am not sure why I was chosen, but I am getting several phone calls a day offering me some kind of a “really neat” loan opportunity.  All I need to do is call them back and (I assume) start repaying the loan.  Now, I realize this is not something I am interested in and since they don’t use the same phone number, I can’t block them, so I just let it go to voicemail and delete it.  I have heard their pitch so often I just ignore it.  I can’t imagine it will ever happen, but if some legitimate financial offer was made, I would probably miss out on it just because I have tuned out the rhetoric for so long.

As I erased another one of those calls the other day I got to thinking about how often people have claimed that we are on the cusp of the Lord returning again.  They figure they can read the signs and begin to proclaim that the end of the world is at hand.  They get people wound up, only to be let down when nothing ever materializes.  I am concerned with this up and down approach because repeating unfounded suppositions might dilute the truth – the Lord is coming back … sometime.  Interestingly, the Apostle Peter dealt with this issue years ago by writing, “But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.  But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” (II Peter 3:7-9). 

Let’s never lose hope or all allow the false claims to diminish our excitement.  The Lord will return and the earth will be destroyed.  It’s going to happen, we just don’t know when it will be.  No one on earth knows when it will happen until it happens!  Let’s not allow the noise to weaken our faith that even though this sounds like a promise that is too good to be true, it really will happen!

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Monday; July 20

Wednesday; July 22

Monday; June 22