Wednesday; September 23
I like peppers. In fact, I am particularly fond of jalapenos
– especially the pickled ones. I eat
them quite a bit with a variety of dishes, not only with Mexican food. Now, having said that, I will also be the
first to admit that I am not particularly fond of “hot” stuff. I don’t search the Scoville Scale for
bragging rights on eating something hot just to eat something hot. I like the flavor, but I can do without
unnecessary pain!
Now, the reason for culinary
observation is that I see a parallel in the human emotion of anger. While there are times it may be beneficial to
get a little hot under the collar, we must be careful to regulate it. It should enhance our lives, not overwhelm
it. There is a phrase, “righteous
indignation”, that tends to describe how anger can be used to enhance someone’s
quality of life. When we use anger to
offset wrongs that are committed, it can make life more palatable; however,
when we keep things constantly bubbling, we are bound to get burned. Anger, like all emotions, can enhance or
overwhelm us. Are we willing to be
judicious to use it appropriately? When
we do, we bring an appealing attitude that benefits us and those around us.
Think About It!