Monday; September 28

I will be the first to tell you that I am not perfect and know very well that I make mistakes – actually, there are times I really mess things up.  So, armed with the knowledge of imperfection, why do I stress out so much?  I think that the answer is not that I err … it’s that I don’t want the error to impact my relationships.  I understand that, for the most part, a mistake is a mistake and can probably be corrected – I just don’t want to lose the relationships and the standing I have.  Sure, I care that “things” will be okay, but I am more interested in knowing that “I” am going to be okay!

As I was thinking about leadership the other day, I got to thinking about how much more affirming it would be if rather than saying, “It will be okay” to someone who has made a mistake we could say, “You’re going to be okay”.  Not only can we fix the issue, we still value the position you hold with us.

Are we working with people who may be struggling with a bit of uncertainty?  Let’s not focus on minimizing the action, let’s work on maximizing their standing with us – even if they aren’t (and especially when they aren’t) perfect.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; October 14

Thursday; November 6

Friday; October 31