Friday; September 4

For some of you, this may not mean much; but there are a lot of us who remember the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons.  In fact, I think what I learned about raising money using emotional pleas and telephones came from those weekends.  Now, let me offer a bit of explaining.  During the 1960s and 1970s Jerry Lewis, a famous comedian from back in the day, hosted a telethon to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Associations of America.  To do this, he would bring on guests for a marathon television event.  As a kid fascinated with entertainers – and looking for one last hurrah before the beginning of the school year – I spent a lot of late nights anxiously awaiting the next singer or comic.  Knowing I could sleep in late on Labor Day seemed to make it all worthwhile.

Interestingly, as I look back on these telethons, I remember the good times, but what really made them stand out was the good work.  Millions of dollars were raised to help the people who needed it.  Even though these events have run their course, the great news is that giving never goes out of style – people can always help people!  The Bible reminds us of the simplicity of Christianity (and humanity) by noting, “Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” (James 1:27).  Sure, being good is important to Christians, but doing good is a part of the process as well.

Do you know someone who needs some help?  If so, why not take up a few dollars or gather up a few workers and do what needs to be done?

         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; October 14

Friday; October 31

Thursday; November 6