Wednesday; July 29
I am fascinated by
Artificial Intelligence. I have
literally just scratched the surface of what it can do; but it is pretty
cool. I am also a bit leery of AI
because without rational monitoring it can get us in trouble. Again, I don’t know if there is a way to
incorporate a moral component into it, but even if we can program it to think
with some sort of inputted data, it doesn’t have that “part of its
brain”. Now, while I am somewhat
cautious about what computers can teach us, I am also well aware that is part
of human frailty as well. I guess if
there is any good news in all of this it is that we have had to learn how to
live with this since the beginning of the world. An Old Testament prophet observed, “Woe to
those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light
for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.” (Isaiah
5:20). We have had to endure false human
logic throughout history, why should artificial logic be any different?
Before we dismiss this
dilemma, let’s make sure we understand what is at stake. Not only have we been warned that there is
false logic out there, we have also been told that the stakes are high for
those who teach it and those who follow it.
The wise man, Solomon, cautioned, “He who justifies the wicked and
he who condemns the righteous, both of them alike are an abomination to
the Lord.” (Proverbs 17:15).
Let’s be smart and wise. Our lives – both mentally and spiritually – depend on us getting it right!
Think About It!