Thursday; July 30
I guess I’d never really
thought about it, but the other day I learned that it was on July 30, 1956 that
a joint resolution of the United States Congress (and signed by President
Eisenhower) was enacted making “In God We Trust” the national motto. Now, if we were to allow it, this observation
could generate a lot of debate; but let’s not go there. Rather, what I would like to do is ask if we
really believe it? Now, I am not all
that interested if our nation believes this as much as if we – you and me – believe
it. It is one thing to put it on our
money and license plates, but have we engraved it on our hearts? I don’t care if we can quote it as a national
motto, do we live it in our individual lives?
I find it interesting that – in a material world – we put “In God we
trust” on our money. Are we really
disciples of the Almighty God or the almighty dollar?
Let’s not get bogged down
in debating this motto in our courts, let’s dedicate ourselves to making it the
theme of our lives. Let’s not be content
to give it lip service, let’s personalize it as what we really believe.