Tuesday; December 14

What is the difference between being open-minded and being wishy-washy? Often, we think of ourselves as being deep thinkers when we consider several angles of a situation – however, to others they might view us as merely being unable to make a decision. To some, focused and unwavering thought is the only way to preserve truth.
Not long ago, I was confronted with a situation that has caused me to rethink some of my opinions. On one hand, I felt like I was weak for doubting what I had believed … then, I would refocus and believe that information I have recently considered might provide increased insight. After bantering this around for a few days, I doubt that I am not much smarter and am definitely a lot more confused. I kind of liked it when I could believe one singular point and call it truth; but when I look at the credentials of those who held differing opinions, I wonder if it is arrogant to think that I am smarter than them. I don’t want to water down the truth, but I also don’t want to be so unyielding that I never grow and develop.
As I thought about this, I had the glimpse of hope, ”If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” (James 1:5). In essence, my confusion might not be a sign of weakness, maybe it is God’s reminder that I need to be leaning more on Him than on my discovering the one right answer. He has promised to guide us through the process, but He has never promised us that it would be easy.
Are you struggling with knowing what to do or what to believe? Let’s be willing to search out the information, but let’s never forget to pray that God will lead us to the truth.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6