Thursday; September 10
The Apostle Paul lived
amid one of the most incredible eras in human history. The Roman Empire influenced a lot of people
across a wide area – socially, politically and religiously. I think that is what makes this observation
so powerful, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God,
to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to
God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do
not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by
the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God
is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:1-2). The Christians in the First Century faced
daily influences to become a part of their modern world – Paul reminded them
that they needed to be distinct.
Often, when I read Romans 12, I think about the similarities
between Paul’s era and ours. Modern
society mirrors the Roman Empire in a lot of ways, so his advice to them
applies effectively to us. Yes, there
are powerful influences all around us but we too have been called to be
holy.
Let’s not feel overwhelmed by the world around us. Let’s listen to the message that transcends
time. We have been sanctified, so
let’s remember that we are special.
Think About It!