Monday; September 23

I know absolutely nothing about a book called, “You Can’t Hide” that was supposedly written by someone named J. D. Bradford.  (I have to be honest with you, I did some research and can’t find the title or the author listed together – but, I digress.)  Anyway, the reason I bring up this obscure book is a quote that I came across the other day.  According to the book review the writer makes the observation, “The greatest prison people live in is the fear of what other people think.”.  Wow, when I read this, it stopped me right in my tracks because I think about how many years I have personally lived with this type of incarceration.  Yes, what people think of me is important to me – often too important to me.  As I have thought about this through the years a couple of realities have become clear.  First, I don’t mind failing as much as I fear letting other people down.  I realize I am not perfect, but I worry people will find out about it and will feel disappointed because somehow they felt I would do better than I did.  The second realization is that I make too many assumptions about what other people are thinking.  Going back to my original fear, few people have expressed their disappointment, I have just projected my assumption upon them. 

Interestingly, this emotional and mental prison is one we can (and should) escape; however, it takes a few things.  First, we must be willing to forgive ourselves for our mistakes.  We may think others are critical of us, but the criticism may be coming from inside us.  Second, we must live in the present and accept things at face value.  Sure, if people express their disappointment, we can deal with it; but until then, let’s not over-think our impact on others.

Are we willing to breakout of our imaginary prison?  There is a great big wonderful world of emotional freedom waiting for us out there! 

Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; November 29

Thursday; January 12

Monday; September 25