Wednesday; January 17

What do we do when someone misstates something? If you are like me, I want to correct them so they get it right. I mean, after all, people don’t want to sound ignorant do they? Now, while that might be a rationale for correcting people, I wonder if that is really what is going on? When I correct them, is it because I want to make sure everything is correct for the record, or do I do it just to show others how smart I am? Let’s take this one step further. Why do we correct people when they are mistaken on things we have personally seen or heard? Again, is it to make sure that the true facts are known or is it to brag about how much “in the know” we are?

I am sure there are times when correctness could probably be more important than kindness, but too often we speak too abruptly and pointedly. Rather than help people get things right, our desire is to show our superiority. It’s not the desire for veracity that is behind our interjection, it is arrogance. Let’s be smart enough to be accurate but wise enough to know when, where and how to correct others.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6