Thursday; February 23

The other day I came across an interesting phrase in a compelling Bible verse. In discussing the need for physical and spiritual discipline, the writer notes, “All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.” (Hebrews 12:11). Interestingly, it wasn’t the application of discipline that struck me, it was the result. I have never thought about the “peaceful fruit of righteousness”. When I thought about this, it really struck me – the most peaceful times in my life were when I was involved in doing right things. Sure, there have been times when making a spiritually-based decision created a bit of a stir, but all-in-all, the better I live, the more peaceful my live is. Not only am I able to be confident in my life, I also avoid the crisis that comes from mistreating others and the ramifications of accountability that bad choices bring.

Most of us say that we strive for calm and peace in our lives. We like it when things go smoothly. If this is a goal in our lives, let’s think about the choices we are making. Better choices can produce a better life.

Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6