Thursday; December 29

On July 6, 1930 Fred Newton began a swim that would make him famous – sort of. You see, on that day he started in Minneapolis, Minnesota headed for New Orleans, Louisiana. His goal was to make the 1826-mile trek in three months. Well, he completed his journey – on this day in 1930 some three months after his goal. Interestingly, the Oklahoman didn’t make news for being tardy but for staying focused on his goal. If he would have given up when he had hoped to be finished, I doubt that I would be writing about him, but because he stayed focused on his goal, he is a celebrity.

Long before Mr. Newton began his quest, the Apostle Paul reminded us of our need to keep going when he said, “Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12-14). When we set our sights on accomplishing something, the goal is noble; but persistence is necessary. Seeing where we want to go and having a map laid out for our journey can lead us to where we want to be, but it is diligence that lands us there.

What do you want to do with your life? What plans do you have for making the most out of your talents? Don’t just map it out, make it happen!

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6