Thursday; July 7

I was at a meeting last week where I caught up with several people I hadn’t seen in a lot of years – in fact it had been over a decade since I’d seen some of them. The great part of the visit was that we picked right back up where we left off years earlier, the troubling part was that these people had gotten older! They were still their same selves – they just looked different (okay, they had grayed). At one point I joked, “You guys have gotten older – even though I haven’t changed a bit.”. One of them challenged my statement and said that he had come across a photo of both of us recently and, yes, I had changed, too.

The reason I bring this up is not to lament the aging process – it tends to beat the alternative – rather it is to remind us to make sure we look at ourselves honestly. While this is important when it comes to accurately assessing our physical appearance, it is more important to do a spiritual assessment. We shouldn’t criticize the faults and failings of others without taking a good hard look at ourselves. Self-awareness is important for several reasons, but one of the most important is because it tempers our ego. When we come to accept our own misgivings, we can be more forgiving of others.

How do we look? Not just to each other, but to God as well?

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6