Wednesday; October 6

Over the last few years, I have become a fan of the University of Central Florida Golden Knights. I was captivated by the seasons where they played out a Cinderella-story (which I thought was fitting for a team from Orlando, the Magic City). While the first few seasons were fun, the last couple have been frustrating – especially last week when they lost to Navy. I am familiar with the Navy football tradition, but Saturday I saw something very impressive – discipline. The Midshipmen haven’t been flashy for years (maybe not since the Roger Staubach era), but they are steady and consistent. They make few mistakes and are committed to a simple straightforward approach to the game. You know what you are going to get from Navy football – good fundamentals and honest effort to the end. At the end of last Saturday’s game, I was upset (just like UCF), but in retrospect I have to give the Academy credit for doing what they do.

As I thought about this game, I was reminded about life. Too often, we are impressed by flash and style, but what matters the most is discipline and consistency. It may be fun to be involved in a superfluous lifestyle but, in the end, being focused on taking care of what we have been tasked to do will be effective. Centuries ago, the Apostle Paul admonished his protégée, “But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness; for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” (I Timothy 4:7-8). Let’s seek to lead disciplined lives that promote godliness and celebrate goodness. When we do, there is no way we can lose in our most important endeavors.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6