Wednesday; May 29

I was reading John 14 the other day and saw something that I had never really noticed before.  Now, I have to tell you that I have John 14:1-3 on several occasions, including at a lot of funerals, but never really felt comfortable with its continuity.  No, the issue wasn’t with the message Jesus was providing, rather it was in the way it was written in English – it just didn’t “flow” very smoothly.  As I was trying to wrap my mind around the grammar of the verse, I was struck by something even more important.  When Jesus was preparing His disciples for His departure He said, “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:2).  As I looked at this verse from a bit of a different perspective I noticed that Jesus was not only promising hope for the future, but also staking His reputation on the truthfulness of His claims.  He was not a dreamer, He was not a charlatan, He was being upfront and truthful with them.  He was not trying to sell them some false religious hope – in His transparency, He was giving them the straight and honest truth.
Jesus made a lot of promises during His time on earth and everyone one of them is just as certain as this assurance of His desire to care for His disciples.  We live in a time when we view our leaders with suspect skepticism, but Jesus is honest and reliable.  Let’s listen what He said and learn to rely upon His message.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6