Thursday; October 17

Throughout the years, I have thrived on crisis.  I like being the guy in the thick of things – especially when things are going sideways.  I am probably not the guy that you would want to send into the fray, but I have found my niche by working with the people who are coming out of it.  

While many of you may not understand what I am about to write, I think there are several who will agree with me.  When I watch crisis in distant places I get a disheartening feeling – not necessarily because of what people are going through, but because I am not right there with them, helping them work through it.  The other day as I was watching a crisis, Jeane looked at me and said, “I know you want to be there, but I am you aren’t.”.  She understands and is supportive, but that doesn’t always quash the desire to be in the mix. 

As I think about my reaction to difficult events, it is easy for me to just sit on the sidelines and pout because I am not in the game, but I am learning that there is always something I can do to help.  No, I may not be right there in the knee-deep water or holding the hand of a grieving friend or family member, but I can do something!  It may be collecting goods or generating encouragement, but there is still plenty of good that can be done even if we aren’t dodging flying debris.  Periodically, I think it will do us all good to read Paul’s admonition, “But as for you, brethren, do not grow wearing of doing good.” (II Thessalonians 3:13).  Notice he doesn’t say we have to be on-scene to do good … his direction is to find a way to do good wherever we are.  

Are you wanting to be involved in helping people, but can’t be standing there with them?  Remember, our ability to help is only limited by our imagination and our willingness to find ways to make good things happen even in the worst of circumstances. 

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; November 29

Thursday; January 12

Tuesday; September 25