Thursday; June 6

One of the things that I have noticed about growing older is that I am exposed to a lot more death. On the surface this might seem a bit odd, but when you think about it, it’s pretty understandable. First, the older I get the older my friends and acquaintances get – and the older they get, the more apt they are to die. Another reason for a higher number of deaths around me is the fact that the older I get, the more people I know and with that comes more exposure to death. I always thought it odd that older people talked a lot about sickness and death – now I understand it why.

While being around death can be a challenge to us, it doesn’t mean that we are on our own to deal with it. In fact, Jesus seems to offer us hope early in His ministry by saying, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” (Matthew 5:4). While this is a nice sentiment, have you ever thought about how this will be accomplished? I think the comfort promised by Jesus comes in a couple of forms. First, we can rely on God’s hand to reassure us. He cares about His people – which means that He will provide us with internal peace. I don’t know how He does it, but I am thankful He does. The other way we find comfort is through the concern offered to us by our friends and family. When we are willing to expose our sadness, the people who really care about us will support us.

Are you struggling with the amount of loss in your life? Reach out and let the Lord and your friends provide you with the comfort you need.

Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday; November 29

Thursday; January 12

Monday; September 25