Wednesday; March 27

You might find it odd that I compared Judas to Peter and Paul in last week’s sermon. Noticed that I chose to use the word “compared”. Peter, Paul and Judas were probably a lot more alike than what we’d expect because when it came to their relationship with Jesus, they failed. We are quick to point out that Judas betrayed Jesus, but Peter denied he knew Him and Paul persecuted His believers. Each one of their relationships with Jesus left something to be desired. However – and this is a big however – the difference between Paul and Peter and Judas was that Judas gave up. Peter and Paul hung around long enough to seek forgiveness; Judas quit. Peter and Paul sought a life after their rejection of Jesus; Judas was so overwhelmed with guilt that he killed himself.

As I was thinking about this, I remembered something Paul wrote, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” (II Timothy 4:7-8). Paul (and Peter) were willing to work through their challenges and eventually made peace with Jesus.

Are you struggling with your relationship with Jesus? Do you feel like you have let Him down? We have all been in your shoes, the question is will you keep fighting the good fight or will you give up? History hasn’t been kind to Judas. I wish we had a story of his turnaround, but we don’t because he didn’t. Each one of us still has a chance to finish our own story – how will ours end? Will we finish our race or will we give up and walk away?

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6