Tuesday; October 24

Last Sunday a friend of mine was preaching a sermon based on an incident in Mark 9. In this section, the apostles were confronted with a situation they couldn’t handle on their own. It took Jesus to intervene and His power to solve the issue. As the minister taught the lessons from this text one thing he said hit me right between the eyes. There are times we can’t help people. Whether it is because of the complexity of their issue or the limits of our ability, there are times we are just in over our heads. I needed to hear that. I am a “fixer” and grow frustrated when I can’t help everyone. I needed to be reminded that sometimes I just can't make everything okay.

After coming to this conclusion, I needed to be reminded of a couple of other points. First, I need to approach situations with a mind toward helping people. I shouldn’t give up without trying to help. Second, I can’t just sit around and list reasons I can’t or shouldn’t try to help. While people need to be held accountable for the choices they make, that doesn’t give us the excuse to just try to come up with reasons why we shouldn’t do what we can to help. All of these are good lessons, but maybe the most poignant one is that when I can’t solve the problem, I shouldn’t stop trying to help. When I can’t fix it, I need to locate others who can. Whether it is finding someone who can help or turning the issue over to God in prayer, we can still be involved. Remember the encouragement Paul gives to the early church, “Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21)

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6