Wednesday; December 14

The other day I was around a young man who was kind of having a tough day. You could tell he wasn’t doing what he wanted to do. I decided to ask if he would like to help me with a task, and immediately, his countenance changed. He perked up and handled the responsibility well. In fact, I believe he actually enjoyed doing it. As I look back, I wonder if he enjoyed being asked to do something “grown up” or if was the fact that a “gown up” asked him to do it. Either way, his day got better and mine got easier.

As I thought about this, I wondered if our children miss out on being asked to do age-appropriate tasks? I understand trying to make their lives easier, but the sense of feeling useful can change attitudes and behaviors. I believe we have an innate desire to be helpful and, when we are asked to help, it makes it even more special and more fun. I understand that projects can take twice as long when shared with a child, but the lessons they learn and the memories we make just might last a lifetime.

Often, when we think about raising proper children, we refer back to the words of wisdom, “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6). While this is applicable to morality, I think it applies to work ethic as well. Let’s be willing to involve our children in tasks. It’s less about child labor and more about child love.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6