Friday; December 16

Tomorrow is my annual dip in the Potomac River. There are two reasons I am willing to go into the Potomac in December: first, because the jellyfish are all dead and second because it raises money for Special Olympics. Each year, dozens of us gather along the banks of the chilly waters of St. Mary’s County to “splash” for a good cause. Sure, there are saner ways to raise money for a good cause, but sometimes being a little bit “off” makes it more fun.

People often ask me why I do this foolishness. I usually smile and come up with some kind of off-the-wall comment; but, in all honesty, I do it because it is the least I can do to help someone enjoy something I tend to take for granted. I have been able to compete in athletic events all my life; but some people aren’t as blessed as me. I am nowhere near a gifted athlete, but I have had the chance to try and if I can give someone else the opportunity to do that in their lives, it is the least I can do. I have been blessed with health and welfare – this is my chance to give back.

I am grateful for the influences in my life who have taught me the value of helping out those who are less fortunate than me. They have reminded me that I am blessed – not as an athlete but as a person. The least I can do is help others.

Christianity has a history of helping others, in fact one of early leaders wrote, “Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.” (I Timothy 6:17-19). What can you do to support those who could use your help?

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6