Thursday; November 3

When I was a youngster, I would give mental assent to the idea that there was a better place for us than this planet and we should all look forward to heaven. I would hear sermons on the concept of “Maranatha” in I Corinthians 16:22 (which is often understood as meaning, “O Lord, Come”) and believe that the coming of Jesus would be a good thing. I would read Paul’s observation, “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21) and understand that there is some better waiting for us in heaven after this life is over. Yet, in spite of my faith, I am not sure that I was in a hurry to see this earth be destroyed or my life come to an end. There was a lot I hoped to accomplish and a lot of things I wanted to see. Again, I wasn’t opposed to an eventual home in heaven, I just wasn’t sure I was ready for it quite then. Over the last few decades I have become more comfortable with the transition from earthly existence to eternal life. Sure, there are more things I’d like to do but I am more likely to find comfort in the hope of an afterlife.

Whether we are growing weary of life and looking forward to eternal peace or still filled with a vigor for life on earth, let’s all make sure we are ready for our final day. Eternal life is an extension of what we do on earth – however, it will be split into two distinct existences. For those who are faithful to God on earth He has prepared a heaven filled with eternal bliss. For those who reject Him in this life He has created a hell filled with torment. The issue isn’t when this life will end, the question is where we will be when our eternal life begins.

Are you ready for eternity when it happens? No matter whether we hope it will be sooner or later, it’s going to happen so let’s be ready!

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6