Thursday; November 4

Having grown up going to church most of my life – and worshipping in congregations that tend to sing the more traditional hymns – there are times I get comfortable with the songs we sing. However, everyone once-in-a-while, I will discover something I had never noticed before. I had one of these moments the other day when we were singing the song, “A Beautiful Life” (or maybe better known as “Each Day I’ll Do”). The song was written a little over 100 years ago, so it has been around all my life, but it wasn’t until last week that I made an interesting connection when we sang, “Each day I’ll do a golden deed …”. The first bit of irony is that the song that mentioned a “golden deed” was written by William Golden (but, not the William Golden from the Oak Ridge Boys). Yet, the thing that sparked my thoughts was the reference to a “golden deed”. What does that mean? The more I sang, the more I began to believe the author was drawing us back to what has been called the Golden Rule. The concept, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” is rendered, “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 7:12) in the New American Standard Bible. When we go out “helping those who are in need” we fulfill Jesus’ desire for His disciples.
Are our lives golden? Are we doing the good deeds good people should be doing? When we make this an important part of our lives, we truly will be living a beautiful life.

Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6