Wednesday; October 20

I will admit it … I am a techno geek. I like the latest gadgets and am a sucker for something new and better. I am fascinated by a smarter phone, a faster computer or a newer tablet. I like going to the electronics store (aka the big boy toy store) and have been known to walk out with stuff I don’t need just because it is cool! Practicality and functionality are often overshadowed by something that is shiny. Looking at all the new stuff on the shelves and the rising value of electronics companies, I don’t think I am the only one with this urge.
While buying the latest and greatest stuff is fun, there is one place where that might not be in our best interest – religion. Now, I am not saying that we shouldn’t grow and develop in our spirituality, but we must be cautious that we don’t lose our way by chasing some idea that is categorized as new and improved. Sure, if something is better for us spiritually or makes the church grow closer to God we should evaluate it, but let’s not get wrapped up in doing something just because it is innovative. Sometimes that “Old Time Religion” should be good enough for us.
The Apostle Paul challenged Timothy not to discount the spiritual traditions of previous generations when he wrote, “For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” (II Timothy 1:5-6). I believe that some ruts can stall growth and development, but chasing after flashy new ideas can lead us astray. Let’s be wise and insightful enough to find the accurate path that leads us closer to God.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6