Friday; March 26

Periodically I like to quote people in my articles, but I often find myself quoting voices from history. I know who I like to listen to – and those people I trust – but so many of them are dead and gone. These days, if I quote a popular person, I am apt to make one group happy and another faction irate. So, I thought I would do a search of the most “trusted people in American” and guess what I found? In the early 1970s it was CBS news correspondent Walter Cronkite and in 2013 it was actor Tom Hanks … then it went dry! I struggled to find a recent poll about who people trust today and there just wasn’t much out there. Folks, this isn’t because there aren’t people talking – everyone is sharing opinions – could it be that we just can’t find the person whose wisdom bridges gaps and transcends factions? Not only did I find the silence on a reliable voice in our society interesting, I found it disturbing. Is it because we can’t agree on who to believe or is it because of the lack of wisdom in our society?

What would happen if we invested back into wisdom? Rather than seeking out the loudest or most educated, what if we started following the wisest? Could the chasm be bridged by finding and quoting modern people with good sense? Let’s remember the counsel of the ultimate sage, King Solomon, “He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” (Proverbs 13:20).

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6