Monday; February 1

I did something yesterday I haven’t done much of – I participated in an online worship service. As you might imagine, as a minister, I don’t get much of an opportunity to stay home and worship through a computer screen, but due to a Winter Storm Warning, we decided to cancel the activities at the church building and do everything online. While it was a bit of a hassle getting ready, it was kind of nice sitting in my nice warm office tuned into what was being broadcast. I didn’t have to dress up. I could sip on my coffee. If I get distracted I could stop and rewind – or if I really wanted to enjoy the conveniences, I could fast forward thought the parts I didn’t like or didn’t feel applied to me. I can see the appeal of online church. Now, while I am thankful we had this option yesterday (and have had it for the last several months) I think it is important that we don’t allow it to become a spiritual crutch for us. Before too long, I believe we will be in a position to start safely fellowshipping and worshipping in person and we need to take advantage of it. While I don’t see us cutting back on our livestreaming or the remote access to our classes for the people and the times we need them, as Christians we should start looking forward to and anticipating the time when the computer becomes the exception rather than the rule.
I am thankful for everyone who has been diligent in hanging in with their churches over the last several months. I believe there is light at the end of our long, dark tunnel; so let’s start getting excited about returning to in-person interaction. We may not quite be there yet, but it will be upon us before we know it!
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6