Friday; November 13

I like the beach – I just can’t stand the sand! That may seem like an odd comment but let me see if I can explain. I really enjoy the sounds and the smells of around the ocean. I enjoy seeing palm trees and pelicans. I can stare at the beauty of how the white of ground meets the blue water. I even like wading in splashing waves and feeling the warm (or cool) water against my skin. I like just about everything about the beach except the sand. I don’t like how it gets in my clothes or how it burns my feet. It annoys me to have it blow into my eyes and mouth. I don’t like how it makes me work extra hard to get down to the water. Nope, I don’t like sand! Now, I have come to realize this about me and I have to make a decision, am I going to let this negative detract from the rest of the experience? Do I enjoy the beach more than I dislike the sand? The answer is usually “yes”, so I keep going to the beach.

I am aware there are others who feel this way about sand, but I also know there are people with different challenges – like those who enjoy going camping, but dislike mosquitoes or those who like to go to the mall, but get irritated at the crowds. Most of us have something like this where we overcome one negative aspect of a thing we like and are willing to endure it to get to enjoy the overall experience.
The reason I bring this up is to talk about church. Have you ever thought that you like going to church, but don’t go because you don’t like some of the people who go there? Maybe you feel there are some hypocrites or are a few unfriendly folks so you quit attending church. Let me ask you a question, wouldn’t it be worth it to go back to church and deal with a few problem people rather than miss the worship and fellowship with others you miss? Sure, there might be some problems, but are they worth overlooking to spend time worshipping God and being a part of a Christian fellowship? Some things are worth enduring when the blessings outweigh the inconveniences.

Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6