Wednesday; July 29

I am not a big fan of change.  I have found that I like what I like and efforts to make me do something new tends to irritate me.  I am excited by things that are new, I just like to feel comfortable in the way things have been.  Interestingly, I am apt to put an extraordinary amount of effort in to keeping the status quo.  The other day I came across a quote from the venerable sage Socrates, who spoke to people like me, “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”.  As I reflected on these words I recalled way too many times when I invested too much emotional effort in being an anchor and not enough time adjusting my sails.  No, I am not saying that we should accept every new thing or thought, but when something innocuous comes along I have to decide the best way to invest my energy – in blocking change or building new paths.
As you might imagine, I have rarely (if ever) been accused of being a change-agent; but I also don’t want to be an old fuddy-duddy.  I believe it is important to invest ourselves as wisely as possible; so what is the best way to do it – by blocking change or helping to positively shape its impact on us? 
Folks, times are changing; however, that is an amoral statement – it is neither good nor bad.  The world has always changed and as long as there is a new day or a new generation there will be change.  What are we going to do:  ignore it, battle it or influence it?
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6