Friday; June 12


          The 22nd Psalm is one of the more interesting writings of David.  In and of itself, it is intriguing, but it is probably best known for its prophetic foreshadowing of the final days of Jesus’ life before His crucifixion.  In fact, the beginning of the Psalm may be best known from Jesus quotation than from David’s original work.  These words might sound pretty familiar, “My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?  Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning. O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer; and by night, but I have no rest.” (Psalm 22:1-2).  This psalm was originally written by a man who was struggling with feeling God’s presence in his life, but thankfully, it didn’t stop there.  A little later in the psalm David confirmed, “Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb; you made me trust when upon my mother’s breasts.  Upon You I was cast from birth; You have been my God from my mother’s womb.” (Psalm 22:9-10).  Sure David struggled, but he never gave up hope. 
          I think a lot of us can echo David’s feelings.  Sometimes we just feel alone in the world, we feel like we are all by ourselves.  We may know, intellectually, that God is as present as He has ever been, but at that moment we aren’t experiencing a connection with Him.  When this happens, let’s not stop with verse 2, let’s continue on down to David’s affirmation in the latter verses that God is present and renew our connection with Him.  As people, our relationship with God might feel distanced, but God will never leave us.  If God was willing to send His Son to take on the sins of the world, surely He will stand beside us when we feel the weight of the world on our shoulders.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6