Monday; May 4

Do you remember where you were 35 years ago today?  Me, I had just finished up my first day as a professional preacher.  Since my dad was a minister most of my life I had grown up presenting lessons and teaching classes, but on the first Sunday of May in 1985 I preached my first sermon as a fulltime minister in Ransom, Kansas.  I am still not sure why they hired me, but to this day I am thankful they did!
The last 35 years have been filled with twists and turns – some of which I could have never imagined – but, as I look back on things, I am thankful for the opportunities I have had.  As I reflected on these years, there are a few lessons I have learned, but one that really stands out to me:  Money isn’t the most important thing.  When I graduated college in 1981 I did so with a degree in Business Marketing.  Had I pursued my career path in advertising, I am sure I would have more money than I do today, but I wouldn’t be as rich as I am.  The people I have met and the experiences I have had transcend the few dollars missing from my bank account.  I have been blessed by the relationships I have made and opportunities I have enjoyed.  
As I look forward to the next couple of decades in my life I would like to thank everyone who has touched my career over the last few decades, but I also want to encourage everyone to take a good hard look at what you are doing and where you are going.  Are you doing what you want to do or merely what you can afford to do?  Remember, at the end of our lives, success isn’t measured by the amount of money in the bank, rather by the value of the lives we have lived.
         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6