Friday; May 15


          A few days ago I shared with you a milestone in my life – my 35th Anniversary in ministry.  Well, it just so happens that May 15 is also a special day for me.  Not only is it Peace Officer’s Memorial Day, it is also the anniversary of my first day in Law Enforcement.  On May 15, 1995 I made my first appearance in an all-department meeting at the Pierre, South Dakota Police Department as a Police Chaplain.  As I think back on that day twenty-five years ago I can only imagine what those folks were thinking – from “who is this guy” to “what is this guy”!  Thankfully, several people present at that meeting accepted me, took me under their wing and gave me the foundation for a career and a passion that continues today.  I have been fortunate to get to do a lot of incredible things in the past twenty five years and hope that, as a volunteer these days, I have even more to contribute to the profession that has blessed me so richly.
As I look back on the past quarter century there are a lot of moments that stand out – some are wonderful and others are literally gut-wrenching – but if there is a theme that sticks with me it is the simple phrase, “To protect and serve”.  The best people I was ever around were those who were willing to give their lives to their community.  They went to work each day willing to make the ultimate sacrifice if necessary to keep their neighbors safe and they were willing to do whatever needed to be done to make their communities better.  Yes, I have had acquaintances die in the line of duty; but I know many more who have sacrificed their ease of living and peace of mind to serve people – all people!
As we go through today I ask that you do two things for me.  First, offer a prayer for the men and women who are out working in our communities.  Second, when you get a chance, thank them for their service.  Whether it is a note to someone you know, a positive post on social media or a kind word to an officer you happen to meet along the way – just say “Thank You!”.  It might be the one thing that makes today bearable for them.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6