Tuesday; April 21

As I begin this thought for today, I want to make a few comments.  First of all, I am thankful for the job I have.  I am grateful for the insight of the leadership I work with, the congregation that allows me to utilize my talents and the community that supports our work.  I am thankful for the partnerships within the church that work so hard to do good works.  I am blessed.
Now, having said all of that, I am concerned for many of my fellow ministers during this time of crisis – and beyond.  Not only is the stress of living in today’s environment got everyone’s world turned upside down, these ministers are in the midst of the chaos trying to do the best they can.  Many of them face uncertain financial futures because of the loss of church contributions.  Many of them have had to learn new and uncomfortable forms of technology in just a matter of weeks. (Imagine having spent decades speaking to auditoriums occupied by dozens or hundreds of people and now having to preach to a camera and a sound guy.)  Most of them are facing the pressure of trying to balance scores of opinions about what should be done to accommodate the new normal without really knowing what the new normal will be.  Consider the stress on those who may have lost half of the only retirement they have in this current economic downturn.  This is on top of dealing with the everyday issues that face ministers compounded by an uncertain and scary world.  Folks, I have to be honest with you – when the smoke clears in a few months, I am concerned about the future of many of my fellow co-workers in the ministry!
The reason I bring this up is to challenge you to encourage your ministers.  Don’t take them for granted and don’t further isolate them during this time of social, emotional and religious distancing.  Often, their passion and their jobs are their churches and now many of them are struggling to hang on to both.  Let’s remember the biblical adage, “How will they preach unless they are sent?  Just as it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news of good things!’” (Romans 10:15).
         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6