Thursday; March 26


          During the mid-1950s one of the greatest fears of the American people was polio.  It had a history of impacting Americans – even famous Americans like Franklin Delano Roosevelt – and killing thousands of people each year.  Then, along came Dr. Joseph Salk.  During the middle of the 20th Century Dr. Salk and others developed a vaccine for polio and by the time I arrived on the earth in the late 1950s, polio had all but disappeared.
          I tell Dr. Salk’s story for two reason.  First, to provide history and hope in the midst of today’s crisis.  But, secondly, to highlight a couple of quotes by Dr. Salk.  The first one,  I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.” and the other one is, “It is always with excitement that I wake up in the morning wondering what my intuition will toss up to me, like gifts from the sea. I work with it and rely on it. It's my partner.”.  As I read about Dr. Salk and thought of his accomplishments and his perspective I was inspired by his optimism.  He saw himself a part of a solution and was driven by what he thought was possible.  He understood the challenges he faced and the “nightmare” it brought, but he also dreamed of being a difference-maker. 
          We face incredible challenges in our lives.  At times, it even seems like the dark clouds are everywhere, but we must never give up hope, inspiration or personal development.  Who knows, maybe we will be the ones who make a difference.  Remember, even if it is only one person at a time – for that person, it might be the thing that changes their lives forever! 
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6