Thursday; February 20

One of my most intense challenges is knowing when NOT to talk.  As I look back through my life, I can recall a few times when I should have spoken up, but didn’t; however, I can find a lot of times when I said something and would have been much better suited to having said nothing at all.  More often than not, it was when I said something that got me in trouble.  There is an old adage that observes, “It is better to not say anything and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”.  While the source of this quote may be in doubt, its accuracy is generally accepted by all. 
When I struggle with this aspect of my life, I can take comfort in the fact that I am not alone in my folly.  In fact, the Bible issues this warning to all of us, “He who restrains his words as knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.  Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.” (Proverbs 17:27-28). 
We live in an era where people are more open with their opinions and less retrained in their words.  While this may be freeing, it can also promote a lot of folly.  Let’s be cautious in what we say by making sure what we say is necessary and valuable.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6