Wednesday; December 11

          I have a note on my desk that, in all honesty, I am not sure where it comes from.  I cannot take credit for thinking of it, nor can I recall if or where I read it.  However, no matter it origin, it encourages me to attempt to rise to a new level of leadership.  After posing the question, “Is our training ‘educational’ or ‘transformational’?”, I have written this observation, “A transformational leader intentionally engages people to think and act in such a way that it makes a positive difference in their lives and in the lives of others.”  In essence, it is one thing to try to teach someone something, but it is a whole new level of leadership that attempts to elevate other people to a better way of living. 
          Centuries before I jotted down the note on my desk Benjamin Franklin observed, “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”.  While it is easier to try to pass useful information on to others through our words, the thing that makes the biggest difference is being involved in their lives.  By explaining what we do, then inviting them to do it with us we have a better chance of transforming them into the people they have the potential to become.  Yes, it takes more time, patience and creativity; but it also provides them with a more solid foundation.
          Is there someone learning from us?  Are we leading them with our lives or merely through our words?
         Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6