Friday; December 6


          This weekend, dozens of us will be gathering at the banks of the Potomac River for a chance to go for a splash.  Now, just in case you haven’t noticed, the dateline for this post is not July 6 (which would be understandable); rather it is at the beginning of December.  Now I have never been accused of standing at the head of the common sense club, but this might make you wonder even more about me.  The reason I (and the others) will be jumping into the 40-something degree water is to help raise money for Special Olympics.  Several areas around the country do some type of Polar Plunges to help raise money and awareness for this program and the St. Mary’s Splash is our local area’s chance to do good work.
          While the primary goal of doing the “splash” is to benefit the Special Olympics athletes, there is a tertiary reason I have made a habit of doing it.  You see, whenever I make the cognitive decision to jump into the cold water I remind myself of how blessed I am to process information.  (Notice I said the decision was cognitive, not logical.)  Additionally, when I run down the bank in my flowery swim trunks it reminds me of the physical abilities I have been given.  I am not the best athlete in the world, but I have been given a great deal of the health and welfare in my lifetime.  I have been blessed to do things such as snorkel in the Caribbean, ski the Rockies and run a half marathon.  This few seconds of inconvenience caused by the cold water invigorates my appreciation for the body the Lord has given me.
          I hope you are able to do something that will give you as much joy and reflection as this does for me.  If you are in the Southern Maryland area – come on by Point Lookout State Park tomorrow.  If you aren’t, find something that keeps you feeling young and vibrant.  Your body, mind and soul will thank you for it!
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6