Friday; December 20


          The other day I was thinking about gifts I have received for Christmas and through six decades of Christmases three things really stand out:  a .22 rifle and a set of youth golf clubs my parents gave me and a fishing pole Jeane gave me the first year we were married.  Now, I have gotten some other really cool gifts, but for some reason, these were the first three that came to mind.  As I contemplate why these gifts have been memorable I am not sure I see a pattern (other than they all involve having to be outside to use them); but there is something about them that makes them special.
          What would you like for Santa to bring you for Christmas?  You know, the older I get the less I look forward to the getting of gifts, because quite frankly, if I want something I go out and get it for myself.  This isn’t to say that I don’t appreciate the gifts I get – I typically enjoy them – sometimes because of the gift, but more often than not, I relish them because of who gives them to me.   I have Christmas gifts displayed around my house and my office – not because I use them every day, but because of who gave them to me. 
          As we contemplate what to give as gifts this season, let’s not lose sight of the fact that sometimes the best gifts are those that involve ourselves.  Maybe it is a puzzle we can do with our children, a gift certificate for a night on the town with our spouse or even a book we can read at the local library to children who don’t have a nuclear family.  Most people I know have enough stuff to clutter their lives, what we need are more people to love us for who we are.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6