Wednesday; November 17

          The other day I got to thinking about the number of people I have known who stepped away from a position, then complained about how their replacement did (or didn’t do) their job.  Unfortunately (for my ego), I got to thinking about the number of times I have quit a job or an organization, then negatively critiqued my replacement.  As I reflected on this all-too-human response, I came up with two thoughts.  First, if I am fussing about how someone is doing the job I left, why did I leave that job in the first place?  If I thought I could do it better, why didn’t I stick it out and make it all it could have been under my leadership?  When I leave – especially if I leave someone in a lurch – I forfeit my right to complain.  My second thought may have been a bit more painful because it reminded me of a delinquency in my life.  If I leave a position and there is no one in the wings to replace me, whose fault is that?  Shouldn’t that be an important part of any leader’s responsibilities – to mentor people who are willing to step in when we walk away?  Do I have the right to complain when it is “me” leaving an unprepared person in a position of responsibility?
          I realize that life often gets in the way of our plans, but rather than fussing about the inadequacies of others, let’s do what we can to prepared and support them.  We don’t “win” the game of life if we are better than our replacements – when that happens, we all lose a little bit.
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6