Monday; November 11


          If there ever was a friend of the service personnel of the United States military, it was probably Bob Hope.  For decades the comedian entertained American troops by taking his star-studded shows out to the world’s battlefields.  When I was growing up, I couldn’t wait to watch his Christmas shows from places like Vietnam, but as excited as I was to see him, I can’t imagine what it meant to those troops on the frontlines.  The other day I came across a quote from Hope’s book, “I Never Left Home” that noted, “I saw your sons and your husbands, your brothers and your sweethearts. I saw how they worked, played, fought, and lived. I saw some of them die. I saw more courage, more good humor in the face of discomfort, more love in an era of hate, and more devotion to duty than could exist under tyranny.” 
          As I thought about Bob Hope’s description of the American military I was reminded of the men and women I have known who served our nation.  Some saw battle, some didn’t.  Some were wounded, most were not.  Yet, whether they were stationed in Fort Leonard Wood, Da Nang, the Pentagon or Afghanistan; they served with pride, honor and courage. 
          I would like to take this Veteran’s Day to offer my thanks to those of you serving in the military and those of you who have completed your military commitment.  Our nation is thankful for what you were willing to do and so am I.  Because of you, we enjoy the freedoms of the American way of life.  Your service is appreciated and your sacrifice will not be forgotten.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6