Tuesday; August 27

I have been reading the Bible for several years and there are things that I know I know and things that I think I know.  Every once in a while I will come across something I thought I knew, but in all reality, I didn’t really know it.  Take for example when Jesus cleansed the temple from those selling merchandise in the house of God.  Each of the Gospels (Mathew 21, Mark 11, Luke 19 and John 2) include an account of this and all pretty much say it the way Luke does, “ Jesus entered the temple and began to drive out those who were selling, saying to them, ‘It is written, ‘An My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a robbers’ den.’” In essence, Jesus found people who were selling items in the temple to make a personal profit and He forcibly cast them out.  While this story is well known, there is something that I didn’t find when I recently read all the accounts – not one of them mentioned Jesus’ anger.  Yes, He was very pointed in what He said and did, but none of the accounts mentions Him being “angry”.
The reason I bring this to our attention is to challenge something that is often used to excuse their anger.  Often, when people’s temper gets the better of them and they seek personal retribution on others, they point back to Jesus’ justice in the temple.  In other words, if Jesus lost His cool, then it is okay for us to do it, too.  We justify our own emotional hijacking by pointing to Jesus.  However, not one time does it say that He was angry or out-of-control.  He was on judicial a mission from God to right the wrongs being done.  Did He take physical action?  Yes He did, but that doesn’t mean that He lost His composure.
Let’s use this example – not as an excuse for allowing ourselves to become emotionally derailed, rather as a reminder that there is a battle between good and evil that might require calculated, composed intervention.  When we do the right things in the right way we can carry on a legitimate legacy of righteousness.
       Think About It! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Thursday; October 19