Wednesday; May 1

One of the lessons that has been drilled into me through the years is that this world doesn’t owe me a thing.  Now, before I go on, I will be the first one to tell you that I have lived a blessed life.  The Lord and the people in my life have bestowed countless blessings on me and I am grateful.  I am far from a “self-made man”.  Yet, that does not negate the earlier observation – the world does not “owe” me anything.  In fact, more often than not, society has tried to take away more things than it has given me!  When I have relied upon the innate nature of the world it has taken away my hope, my joy and, too often, my commitment to my purpose in life.  If we depend upon society to fill our needs and dreams, we will be left empty.
As I think about what makes a successful person I am drawn to a biblical principle, “For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.  For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies.” (II Thessalonians 3:10-11).  While the primary focus of this passage has to do with physical work I think there is a secondary application – success in anything comes from effort.  We should not expect to be successful without investing ourselves in the pursuit.  Again, this applies to labor, but the principles extend outward to include parenting, education, social development, integrity, spiritual growth and beyond!  Simply put, we have a responsibility to invest the time and effort into something if we hope to succeed.
Just being alive and a part of today’s world doesn’t guarantee us anything!  How hard are welling to work to reach our potential?
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6