Friday, March 8

I have been doing some sort of “daily devotional” most weekdays since about 1989 and, after reflecting on things during that period of time, I have come to realize something – I have become a grump!  When I look back, many of those messages from the early years were much more positive – and even humorous – but, those types of messages have become fewer and further in between.  I pray that I do offer hope on most days, but I often feel like Solomon who wrote, “... I set my mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I realized that this also is striving after wind. Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain.” (Ecclesiastes 1:17-18).  Yep, I am beginning to sound (and look) like Eeyore.
Do you ever find yourself feeling like Solomon (and me)?  What can we do to reverse the cynicism?  Here are a couple of suggestions for us:
1.  Hang around younger people.  One of my problems is that as I have become jaded I have lost the zeal and exhilaration of youth.  I need to be around – and sponge off of – people who still believe that they can change the world!
2.  Feel more and think less.  This may sound odd, but it is easy to “think” myself into a funk.  I have a tendency to over-analyze things to the point of sucking the life out of them.  I need to enjoy more moments and make fewer plans.
3.  Turn off and tune in.  I surround myself with news and information – often to the point of being overwhelmed.  There is an adage that says “ignorance is bliss” and I am thinking that that’s more a blessing than a warning.
          Let’s enjoy the life God has given us!  It will do us and those around us a great big favor!
          Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6