Friday; October 26

Here is a question for today:  “Do I believe in the freedom of religion or am I interested in the freedom of my religion?”. 
A recent trip to Washington D. C. got me to thinking about the origins of our nation, particularly the freedom to worship in the way we believe to be correct.  Now, before I get too far into this this discussion, I am not debating salvation issues, my thoughts are prompted more by “law” rather than “doctrinal truth”.  As I walked through a memorial to Thomas Jefferson I was met with these words, “Almighty God hath created the mind free.  All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burdens ... are a departure from the plan of the Holy Author of our religion ... No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion.  I know but one code of morality for men whether acting singly or collectively.”.  There is a document housed in our nation’s capital that was amended to include this thought, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”. 
So, I go back to my original question, “Do I believe in the freedom of religion or just those that look and act like mine?”.  On the surface the discussion of religious freedom seems like a no-brainer, but the deeper we get into it, the more complex it becomes.  Am I for freedom as long as “my” religion gets to decide which religions are granted this liberty or am I committed to the principle no matter who is in control?  What expectations do I have of a free society if my religion is not in the majority? 
We live in a great country where we can debate these issues in public and private forums.  Let’s make sure we discuss these questions civility, honest and with respect.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6