Tuesday; June 5

The other day I walked by a container that proclaimed their business was home to the world’s best coffee.  This claim got me to wondering – “Says who?”.  Was there a competition based upon some empirical criteria that awarded the title?  Did the International Coffee Consortium hold a summit and make this decision?  Was there a worldwide vote to decide the outcome?  No, I assume that someone decided to make this their advertising slogan, so they just started writing it on their stuff.  Honestly, I haven’t had any of their coffee, so I can’t judge the beverage’s quality, but whether I liked it or not, does that make it the best? 
Many places have advertising slogans that are hyperboles at best, but may more likely be wishful thinking.  I am okay with these types of claims because I don’t take them seriously.  It is kind of like me wearing a “World’s Best Grampa” T-shirt – it sounds cool even if it isn’t the truth.  I do have a problem; however, when people make claims that have serious life-altering consequences.  I take issue with people saying they can prove that God doesn’t exist or that the world began millions or billions of years ago, then go about using manmade theories and formulas to “prove” their hypotheses.  Can I prove that God exists – no, but I have faith that He does.  Sure I can put together evidence that supports a Living God, but in the end we will both stand there putting stock in our faith.  I have to acknowledge that my conclusions are built upon a foundation of faith, but I also think the converse is true.  Science may claim to be wholly rooted in fact, but in all honesty, it is merely another version of faith.  My faith is built upon the presence of the Supreme Being, others place their faith in a belief that scientists were smart enough to figure out a process and that process is accurate and flawless.
In the end, it is a battle of beliefs.   If I am correct, there is a God and an eternal life and I am good with that because it makes life worth living.
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6