Thursday; March 8


If you are looking for a fun way to ruin you day just go to an antique store.  I hadn’t been to many antique stores until my daughter and her family took me to one last weekend.  On one hand it was a fun walk back through time, but I quickly realized that many of the things that appealed to me were from MY lifetime.  Things they called antiques were items I had played with or I had used.  Wow – that was disheartening! There was a little bit of vindication though ... some of the vintage things in the store were items from our daughter and son-in-law’s eras.  (I don’t know if that should make me feel better or cause us all to feel old.)
I have nothing to complain about in my life.  While there are still several things I would like to accomplish, I have been blessed to live as many years as I have.  As soon as I think about fussing about growing old(er) I am reminded of many of my contemporaries who didn’t make it this far.  I am thankful for each and every day I have.
As I contemplate the concept of aging I am reminded of James’ observation of our physical existence when he noted, “Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.”. (James 4:14)  Here, the Scriptures remind us of a couple of lessons:  First, life is uncertain so if there is anything we need to do, we’d better do it now.  Secondly, since there is no guarantee of a proverbial “two minute warning” for the end of life we’d better be prepared for the afterlife.  Life is uncertain so we’d better live ready for the end.
Whether we feel like antiques or not, today is our day.  We cannot recapture our past and we have no certainty of a future.  What is on our calendar for today ... is anything (of importance) missing?
Think About It!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday; May 3

Thursday; February 14

Wednesday; December 6